Monday, August 06, 2007

rosemary & olive oil cake

Took this from the Babbo cookbook, which you can find online here. I used supposedly great quality olive oil (I have no idea really, but that's what the person who gave it to me said). I thought it was from Italy, but after actually looking at the label, it's from California (Balzana - does anyone know anything about it? Of course the website says good things about it...).

So I really liked how it turned out texture-wise. It was crunchy on the outside and spongy inside (my roommate's mom said it was the "best" cake she's ever tasted. I think she's just very nice haha). I think it's best eaten right after it cools after baking, because it kind of lost its moisture pretty easily. As for the flavors, I think the rosemary was a bit too much - I'd probably use only one tablespoon instead of two next time. I couldn't really pick out the olive oil despite putting in a little more than what the recipe called for. Maybe my palate just isn't sensitive enough to its flavor?

Regardless, this is a very simple cake with good results. I didn't make anything creamy-ish to eat it with, although it kind of needs that kind of accompaniment. Figs are in season... but I don't feel like shelling out for them. =P

1 comment:

lucyfnw said...

That's a pretty picture. You should use it for your portfolio