Wednesday, August 17, 2011

On Nhau

Somehow I found myself nhau-ing just about every night I was in Saigon. "You must've been hanging with a lot of dudes" my friend assumed, and right he was! I was unaware of the social significance of this primarily male custom at the time, but I found this interesting article through the interwebs. That might explain the stares, actually. Onward!

DSC_0919
It took some getting used to the giant blocks of ice in my Tiger beer, let alone the fact that they kept giving me (and only me) straws. I guess it's the feminine way to nhau

DSC_0912 DSC_0916
Duck tongue and curried frog legs at Xua va Nay in Saigon

DSC_0914
Clams with lemongrass

Some non-nhau food in Vietnam:
IMG_9489 IMG_9492
Before and after - the tail was a hot commodity

DSC_0777 DSC_0773
Bun cha in Hanoi

DSC_0878 DSC_0880
Cha ca la vong in Hanoi

DSC_0984 DSC_0980
Wraps and rice noodles (can't remember the names of anything - I'm terrible I know) at Quan An Ngon in Saigon

No comments: