Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Challenge: Goodbye, Meat!


I've always said I could be vegetarian if I wanted to. I normally don't cook with any meat (out of pure laziness and frugality), and I enjoy a lot of vegetarian food. While I wouldn't choose to be vegetarian forever, I thought I would try it out for a month.

January 2010 seemed like a good trial: no more holidays so I could control what I eat, the start of a new year always carries with it some increased motivation, and I just watched Food Inc a few weeks ago and have been slightly paranoid about meat. While the documentary didn't stop me from eating at ghetto Chinese restaurants during Christmas weekend, I did manage to resist ordering a burger at In n Out (only ate animal fries... a first!).

I think I'll be able to last, and my little sister even offered a big bag of lentils as my prize, since they will surely be a main source of protein now. Any other wagers?? Let's just hope I last more than a week =P I originally wanted steak or a burger as my last meal, but since San Tung is slated for NYE dinner, I will just have to see that nice juicy beef on Feb 1.

8 comments:

margaretmit said...

I'll take you to Sam Woo next time you visit.

kathy said...

sam woo woo! how about church+state instead? =)

Jessica said...

i like this challenge!

Jessica said...

i like this challenge!

Jamie said...

i believe in you, kathy! i'll throw in a bag of quinoa :)

kathy said...

hehe thanks =)

margaretmit said...

I have a better idea. If you win I will take you to Animal, where even the dessert has meat.

www.animalrestaurant.com

kathy said...

ooh that's a good one. i accept!!