Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

846 Divis (& Fulton)
(415) 441-1118

Pizza in Nopa/Western Addition/Panhandle

After my coworker had been raving about Little Star for the longest time, I decided to finally give it a try. After briefly skimming through yelp reviews, it seems like a lot of people think it's better than Zachary's. My opinion? It was different, not necessarily better.

For a pizza place it isn't what I expected - really dark (hence, no pictures) and tiny! Not a family place at all. You can get takeout though, which would be a good idea if you're in a rush because the wait is ridiculous. It took me like 20 min to find parking so we got seated almost right away after I arrived (sorry Tan!), but around 8pm the wait was 2 hrs long. Our waiter was really nice, and after waiting another 25-30min, our Little Star pizza (spinach, feta, other stuff) was ready.

I really liked it. It has a lot of flavor (heavy on the garlic, which I like), crunchy cornmeal crust... but lighter on the toppings. Lighter isn't necessarily a bad thing - if anything, it doesn't leave you comatose like Zachary's. However, I like heavy tomatoes, and Zachary's wins hands down in that respect.

So yes, I liked Little Star a lot and would go back if I had a craving for deep dish, and maybe also try their thin crust. Plus, it's in a great neighborhood that's walkable to anything (we went to a bike cafe down divis where we were surrounded by granola hipsters and talked about blogs).

1 comment:

Tan said...

Imagine if we had waited two hours and STILL had to wait for them to cook the pizza.

Also, how come you're the only one who doesn't leave star reviews? We need numbers and symbols, not opinions.